Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Tea" by Nancy Reisman

Hello everyone in 666-land! This is so exciting ... my very first blog entry, ever! I'd like to start by thanking the Academy ...

Anyway, regarding my choice for "story of the week." This piece was included in the 2005 O Henry collection, and in my opinion it is the best story in the book. The sexual content was a little shocking to me at first (especially as it appears "right out of the gate" in the first paragraph), not because I'm prudish, but because it seems that there's not as much of this type stuff in literary anthologies and such, at least the ones I've read. Reading beyond that, this story is so beautifully written and realized, with a devestating ending that broke my heart, and with one of the best last-sentences I've ever read. There's also something about the way that Reisman crafts her sentences and conveys Lillian's feelings that really appeals to me; her overall command of the language in this piece is incredible. I hope ya'll enjoy it, and look forward to any other opinions - assenting, dissenting, whatever.
Ever Higher,
Chris

No comments: