Monday, January 28, 2008

Gaston

I guess I will comment on Gaston now as well. I was most impressed by the way William Saroyan was able to pack so much characterization into his dialogue, and in so few pages! I kept wondering if we workshopped his story, would we be annoyed that he doesn't reveal the narrator's age until the second paragraph? After you realize she's 6, you look back at the first paragraph and realize only a 6-year-old could see things in that way, or describe them in that way; really, you were completely prepared for her to be six, without him having to say it.

1 comment:

Kate Dernocoeur said...

OK, I read Gaston and thought it to be a sweet, sad story. I am also tearing my hair out trying to keep up with the techno-aspects of life in the 21st centure, so I really just want to see if I can actually post somethihng on this blog. Therefore, this won't tie in with whatever is being said about Gaston.... sorry!